Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An Australian icon turned appetiser - serve with tomato sauce (ketchup) for dipping and don't forget the serviettes! This recipe freezes very well unbaked. Cook from frozen, increasing baking time by 5 minutes. From www.pampaspastry.com.
- 3 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 kg sausage meat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 500 g puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- Pre-heat oven to 220ºC.
- Remove crusts from bread, then soak slices in hot water for 5 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
- Combine bread, sausage meat, onion, herbs and seasonings. Mix well.
- Unroll approximately 12 cm of thawed puff pastry, lightly brush the surface with water.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon a portion of meat mixture down the middle of the pastry strip.
- Fold pastry over filling and seal edges.
- With a sharp knife cut each strip into 4 sausage rolls.
- Continue with remaining meat and pastry. Glaze.
- Place on ungreased baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
What a GREAT treat for the games yesterday. For the mixed herbs I used 1/4 teaspoon oregeno, and 1/4 teaspoon basil leaves. I also used ground sausage. Have plenty leftover which is good, due to the great taste. Mine took 35 minutes to be done . Thanks for the great recipe.