For ease you may use purchased miniature frozen tart shells, spicy Italian sausage works the best for this, if using mild sausage I recommend to add in the cayenne pepper --- these are very good!
- 1 cup butter, softened (can use margarine)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces bulk Italian sausage (such as Jimmy Dean's, use mild or spicy)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (use only if using milk sausage)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup finely shredded swiss cheese (or as needed)
- 1 large green onion, minced (or use 2 tablespoons minced chives)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or as needed)
- Lightly grease 36 miniature muffin tins.
- In a bowl beat butter with cream cheese and flour until smooth.
- Shape tablespoons of dough into balls.
- Press 1 ball into the bottom and up the sides of each greased muffin cup.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate the tins until ready to fill.
- In a skillet cook the sausage meat until no longer pink; drain fat and cool slightly.
- Divide the sausage meat into each prepared dough/muffin tin.
- Sprinkle a small amount of Swiss cheese over the top of the sausage meat then some green onions over the cheese.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with cream and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into each shell then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until browned.