Recipe by sheriboren
This recipe is adopted from Mean Chef. I have not tried it, but will soon. Mean Chef says: These tiny tarts are a dressed-up version of pumpkin pie. Eliminating the traditional cinnamon and clove seasonings really lets the pumpkin's sweetness come through. And because you don't need a fork, these bite-sized morsels are perfect for a buffet-style party. Prep time estimate includes chilling time for the cream.
For the Gingered Cream
- 12 ounces whipping cream
- 2 ounces white chocolate, grated
- 1 slice fresh ginger
For the crust
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- candied ginger, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the whipping cream until scalding (do not boil), then add grated white chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Add slice of ginger and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Make the crust: put flour, brown sugar& pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until nuts are ground into a powder.
- Add shortening and butter, pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the food processor and form a ball.
- If you have a tart shaper, roll the dough into balls the size of a large marble, place one in each mini-muffin cup, and press with tart shaper to form crust.
- If you don't have a tart shaper, roll the dough out to about 1/4" thick and cut with a circular cookie cutter, then press the circles of dough into the tart pan.
- Mix the egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, evaporated milk, ginger& salt.
- Stir until combined.
- Fill the tart crusts with the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until pumpkin mixture is firm and crusts are a golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes, then remove tarts and place them on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Remove the slice of ginger from the whipped cream, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Place a dollop of cream on each tart, and top with a tiny bit of minced candied ginger.