Recipe by JillAZ
This is from a OAMC website. These are delicious and my kids LOVE these in their lunchboxes. I put them in frozen in the morning and they thaw nicely by lunchtime. Note: I have experimented with reducing the sugar in this recipe and find it works very well. I usually make a double batch and only added 1/3 cup sugar instead of 1 cup. They came out perfect - just the right amount of sweetness.
Top Review by the veggie plot
I made these with a whole wheat flour pastry and they where lovley, i don't think i filled each mini pie enough as they sunk a little in cokking. Will make again though as they are great for my packed lunch at work. :)
FOR THE PIES
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (your favorite recipe or purchased)
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 1 dash salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out pastry dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out 2-1/2" circles from the dough.
- You should have 15.
- Place each circle in a muffin cup and push in to fit pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together pumpkin, sugar, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Add the pudding mix and beat until blended.
- It will thicken nicely.
- Add spices.
- Stir to combine.
- Fill pastry crusts evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- When cool, you can place in a rigid freezer container with layers of waxed paper in between.
- Freeze until needed.
- You can thaw these in the refrigerator or put in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- This depends on the wattage of your micro.
- If you want to add meringue, first mix together the cornstarch and cold water.
- Add to 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Cook over low heat until it thickens.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat egg whites, dash of salt, and sugar until stiff.
- Add cooled cornstarch mixture to beaten egg white mixture.
- Put on pie, making sure it covers the edges well.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.