Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats, which was adapted from _Bite-Size Desserts_ by Carole Bloom. http://tinyurl.com/nmcbgn
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed pistachio paste, see note
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon fine-grained sea salt
- 72 shell-less pistachio nuts
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place a rack in the upper third. Place 2 mini-muffin tins (2" diameter cups, 24 total) on a cookie sheet. If your muffin tins are not non-stick, spray liberally with non-stick spray.
- NOTE: If you cannot find pistachio paste ready-made, you can make your own; combine 1/4 cup shell-less unsalted pistachios and 1/4 cup powdered sugar in a food processor. Process until nuts are finely ground, then add 1-3 tbsp water, until the desired consistency is achieved. (This will probably make a little more than you need.).
- Beat the butter with a stand or hand mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until smooth. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula, then add pistachio paste and vanilla. Beat until smooth again. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl often.
- Sift the flour and salt in a bowl. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet and blend well; add the remaining dry and blend well again. Divide batter evenly amongst the muffin cups. Place 3 pistachios into each muffin cup; do not press down.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of one cup comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool completely, then remove from pan. Dust tops with confectioner's sugar before serving.
- Leftovers will last 4 days at room temperature, wrapped airtight in foil. They may also be frozen up to 4 months, wrapped in several layers of plastic wrap and foil. Defrost frozen cakes in refrigerator overnight, then bring up to room temperature before serving.