Recipe by nomnom
My take on Spanokopita. I added in the roasted red pepper because I love it and it matches well with the spinach and seasonings. I didn't add in feta. I would have, but mine went bad. It tasted delish anyway.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 white onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, mashed
- rosemary (or use italian seasoning in place of all)
- 20 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed
- feta (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast red pepper whole in a 450*F oven for 20-40 until charred to liking.
- Wrap in foil and set aside Adjust oven to 350*F.
- In dutch oven, sweat onion, garlic, and a little of the spices over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, fold each sheet in half long-ways and cut into 3 even pieces.
- Place in muffin cups and place in oven for 10 minutes, then remove and turn around to the other side and leave in until crispy.
- Dump in spinach into onions and garlic and cook down. Season to taste.
- Once pepper has cooled, unwrap and peel (should come right off).
- Cut off top and take out seeds. Discard.
- Finely dice remaining pepper. Once spinach has cooked down, turn off heat.
- Drain liquid and stir in crumbled feta, if desired.
- Divide red pepper among the muffin cups and place in phyllo.
- Divide spinach mixture and place in phyllo.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
- Warning: Phyllo will soften and/or get soggy later, so put back in a 350*F for a few minutes to crisp it back up.
- For Vegan omit the Feta cheese.