Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These go great with a bowl of chowder!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal, plus
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn or 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, thawed if frozen
- 1 1⁄2 ounces pepperoni, sliced and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 450°F and arrange rack in center. Generously coat 3 cast-iron mini corn-stick pans (seven 1 oz. sticks per pan) with cooking spray. Heat pans in oven while making batter.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cumin and salt in a large bowl. Add cheese, corn, pepperoni and cilantro; toss until combined well. Whisk together buttermilk, butter and egg in a medium bowl. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until combined well.
- Carefully remove 1 pan at a time from oven and spoon 1 heaping tablespoon batter into each stick section. Immediately return to oven.
- Bake until completely golden brown and set (if undercooked, they will stick to pan), 10 to 12 minutes. Using a knife or small metal spatula, immediately remove sticks from pans and transfer to racks to cool. Wipe out pans with a paper towel, coat with cooking spray and repeat process with remaining batter. Serve warm.