Recipe by **Jubes**
An ever popular Australian/NZ favourite. Makes 6 individual pavlovas. Serve topped with cream or fruche and fruit of your choice. The favourites in my home are strawberries, kiwifruit, passionfruit, flaked chocolate and even crushed peppermint crisp chocolate bar.It's best to use your eggs at room temperature and to ensure your bowl to whip the egg whites in is super clean. Make sure your egg whites have absolutely no egg yolk with them, or you whites will not whip up properly. If you eat gluten-free ensure your flour and thickened cream used are also gluten free. Please note-times given to not include cooling time. You can use gluten free or lactose free youghurt to top these if desired.
Top Review by Chef floWer
This has to be one of the best Pavlova recipe I have made. I'm the worse baker ever and it worked for me! They rises perfectly and stayed there. When they were ready the outside was crusty, the centre was light and marshmallowy. I didn't get to sample them as I don't eat eggs but my family and friends loved them. I think the trick is to leave the egg whites in room temperature. I topped them with cream and passion-fruit pulp. Thanks so much *Jubes* for a full proof recipe.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (aka maize flour & cornstarch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 300 ml thickened cream, whipped (large carton)
- fruit, to decorate or crushed chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 130°C Line two baking trays with baking paper. Draw 3 10cm (4 inch) circles on each piece of paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. This is quite a bit of beating.
- Add the sugar one spoon at a time ,beat well after each addition. Dont be in a hurry to add the sugar quickly- your egg whites will not hold up if you do!
- Continue beating until all of the sugar has been added and the meringue is thick and glossy.
- Using a large clean metal spoon, gentley fold in the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla.
- You can turn the paper over on the baking trays and still see the drawn circles. Spoon meringue onto the baking trays, using the circles as a guide.
- Bake in the oven on the lowest shelves for 75 minutes or until crisp. Turn the oven off. Leave the pavlovas in the oven to cool completely, or overnight. Leave the oven door slightly ajar.
- To serve-spoon whipped cream or fruche over each pavlova and decorate with fruit of your choice or crushed/flaked chocolate.