Recipe by piranhabriana
This is for the mini-pan set that makes 6 little cakes - perfect for strawberry shortcakes!
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325. In a large bowl beat egg whites till foamy, add the cream of tartar and salt, then beat till soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts, gradually add the sugar beating till mix is stiff. Sift flour over batter and gently fold it inches
- Fill each ungreased mini-pan to 2/3 full. Bake 20 minutes or until crust looks deep golden brown and cracks feel dry. Do not underbake!
- Immediately invert pan onto two glass bottles, letting cakes cool completely before removing from pan. Loosen sides with nylon or plastic spatulas to prevent scratching.
- Top with chocolate frosting or whipped cream as desired. Add sliced fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or kiwi!