Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I combined 2 recipes found on www.thisisnaive.com to make a savory version of a cheese scone :) very quick and quite easy to make ^O^ Hope you like it if you try it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into little cubes (a little less is fine too)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (other type is fine too)
- 100 ml milk
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 200°C or around 400°F.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit a baking tray.
- Sift flour, salt, cayenne pepper and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Rub butter with finger tips into the flour mixture until it becomes like fine bread crumbs.
- Mix grated cheese, paisley flakes and sugar into the flour mixture, mixture should have consistency which resemble "bread crumbs".
- Make a well into the mixture and add milk, leaving a little bit to brush on the scones if you wish.
- Combine with a spatula or wooden spoon so that it becomes a dough, knead quickly and gently on a lightly floured board, pat dough out into approximately 2.5cm thick and cut with a 4-5cm round cutter, into as many rounds as you can. I usually roll the last bits into balls, brush the top with a little milk and place on parchment paper on the tray and bake for about 10-12 minutes until tops are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack so as not to burn the bottom.
This has way too much baking soda! That's all I can taste! I'm upset because I wasted all those ingredients :(