1/1 Photo of Mini Meatball Soup With Broken Spaghetti and Escarole
This recipe aired Jan 6, 2014 on the Rachel Ray show. Pair this soup with warmed Ciabatta bread. The soft inside soaks up the amazing soup while the crust remains thick and crunchy. It's absolutely wonderful together. Leftovers are even better!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs meatloaf mixture (1/2 pound each of ground beef, veal and pork)
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons onions, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, divided (2 finely chopped, 2 sliced)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 grates nutmeg
- 1 large escarole, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 parmesan cheese, rind
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2In a large bowl, season meat with salt and pepper.
- 3In a small bowl, moisten Panko with milk and then add to meat.
- 4Add parsley, cheese, grated onion, 2 cloves chopped garlic, egg and a fat drizzle of olive oil to meat bowl, and mix well with your hands to combine.
- 5Roll walnut-sized meatballs and bake until crisp and cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. (I used a spring release cookie dough scoop).
- 6In soup pot over medium--high heat, add butter and melt. Add uncooked pasta and toast until fragrant and toasty; season with salt and pepper. Remove spaghetti and reserve.
- 7Add olive oil, a turn of the pan, and add chopped onions, 2 cloves sliced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook to tender, 10 minutes.
- 8Add escarole and wilt; season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 9Add stock and cheese rind and bring soup to a low boil.
- 10Add pasta back to soup and cook to tender.
- 11Add mini meatballs and serve.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Meatball Soup With Broken Spaghetti and Escarole
Serving Size: 1 (537 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.3
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 58.4 mg
- Sodium 781.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: