Prep 20 mins
Cook 27 mins
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef, pork and veal combined
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry pasta, rings, broken fettuccini or 1 1⁄2 cups ditalini
- 1 lb triple washed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- In a deep pot over medium heat add oil, chopped carrots, celery and onions and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook veggies 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the veggies cook, combine meat, egg, garlic, grated cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg.
- Uncover your soup and add broth and water to the pot. Increase to high and bring soup to a boil. When soup boils, reduce heat a bit and start to roll meat mixture into small balls, dropping them straight into the pot. You are making meat dumplings that will cook in the broth. When you are done rolling the meat, add pasta to the soup and stir. Cover and simmer soup 10 minutes. When pasta is tender, stir in chopped spinach into batches. When spinach has wilted into the soup, the soup is done and ready to serve. Adjust your seasonings. Serve soup with crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.