Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Bring smiles to the little ones in your life by whipping up a batch of these yummy cookies! The long-time favorite treat of my own children, these cookies can be made using your choice of mini M&M's, chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 5 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 (12 ounce) bag miniature M&M's chocolate candies or 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips or 1 (12 ounce) bag butterscotch chips
- Cream sugars and shortening together; stir in eggs, vanilla and hot water; add dry ingredients and stir until combined; gently stir in mini M&M's last.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 9 minutes or until cookies are light golden brown.
This is a fabulous recipe. I used all dark brown sugar and substituted all butter for shortening. I used one bag of m&ms in the dough and then pressed m&ms from a second bag onto the tops of the cookies before baking. Made them turn out very pretty. Watch carefully they are easy to overbake but if watched they are delicious and this batch makes a lot! Pictures of my cookies are at the top.
This recipe had great reviews and I had mini m&ms so I figured I would try it. I followed this recipe almost exactly, just used a little less flour since the consistency was very thick and dry. The cookies were very thick and doughy almost like scones or something. Using all shortening in this recipe gave the cookies a fake, chemical- like taste. They were not very sweet and definitely not indulgent. Chocolate Chip Cookies are a classic that everyone enjoys and these cookies completely miss the mark.
What an easy, excellent recipe! And it makes a ton of cookies. Have to watch and take them out as soon as the edges begin to turn brown. They don't look done but after a minute on the cookie sheet they are!