Recipe by Brittney_B
These cute little pies look so impresssive and are perfect to wow guests at a dinner party. The sweet lemon filling is what makes these bite sized delights disapper in seconds. But don't be put off be their apperance.. they are incredibley easy to make. You can make the lemon filling and pie cases ahead of time but the meringue topping is best done no more than a few hours before serving.
- 4 sheet shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 4 egg whites
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 158.51 ml caster sugar
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml caster sugar (or white sugar)
- 59.14 ml cornflour
- 29.58 ml plain flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 30 g butter
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the lemon filling, combine water, lemon juice, sugar and flours in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir yolks, butter and zest into the mixture until butter is completely melted and then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Lightly grease three 12-hole, mini muffin pans. Using a 6.5cm round cutter, cut 9 rounds from each pastry sheet. Use pastry to line muffin holes until you have 36. Place pans in freezer for 10 minutes or until pastry is firm. Bake pastry cases for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden. Remove from oven. Spoon 1 teaspoon of lemon filling into each pastry case.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until meringue is thick and glossy. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and pipe meringue over top of lemon filling in a swirl that comes to a peak. Bake for 5 minutes or until meringue is set and just starting to brown at the top. Cool completely in pans before serving.