Recipe by Marie Nixon
I don't post many recipes on food.com because most recipes I make come from food.com. I found this recipe on www.bakingbites.com. The only modification I made was to show 3 Tablespoons of butter needed to dip the tops of the muffins in. Original recipe showed 2 Tablespoons. If you are interested in making your own lemon curd for this recipe, I can recommend Lemon Curd. This is a wonderful recipe. I hope you will make it.
For the donut muffins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- 2⁄3 cup lemon curd or 2⁄3 cup preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color. Beat in vegetable oil, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Gradually add in flour mixture in two or three additions, alternating with additions of buttermilk.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared mini muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full (approx 1 tbsp batter).
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place melted butter in a small bowl. Place sugar for rolling in a small bowl or deep-sided plate.
- Remove donuts from pan, dip the tops in melted butter and roll in sugar. Place on a cooling rack to allow sugar to set.
- When donuts are cooled, fit a pastry bag or ziploc bag with small round pastry tip. Place lemon curd into pastry bag. Poke a small hole in the side of each donut with the pastry tip and pipe a small amount of curd into the center of each donut (approx 1 tsp).