Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I saw this on Sandra Lee's episode Cocktail Party and it looked so good I made them. Delicious! And great for a party or potluck. I hope you enjoy. I put leftovers in the freezer, then heated them up in the oven.
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, finely chopped (or 2 small leeks)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 (14 ounce) box refrigerated pie dough, 2 rounds
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 2 large eggs (or l egg and 1/4 cup eggbeaters, egg white)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or pinch nutmeg)
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse the leeks in a bowl of water and strain. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When it's melted, add the leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook until they are soft and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the thyme, and let cool to room temperature.
- Roll out each pie dough round onto a clean dry surface. Using a 2 1/4 inch biscuit cutter cut 12 rounds from each dough. Gently press the rounds into each of the mini muffin tins to form mini crusts.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk the cream and eggs with the pumpkin pie spice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1 teaspoon of the cooled leeks and top with 1 teaspoon of the cheese. Cover the filling with the egg and cream mixture. Place the muffin tins onto cookie sheets and put them into the oven. Bake until the egg mixture has set and the quiches are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack. Serve warm and enjoy!
Delicious quiche!!! I did do things a little differently, as I was making it for the two of us for breakfast. I used a 6 inch pie pan and a homemade pie crust. Then the only other change I made was to add some chopped cooked bacon. I served it with biscuits and fresh fruit. Thanks for sharing the recipe and giving me a yummy way to use up my last leek. Made for ZWT8.