Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Source: Betty Crocker Cookbook - These mini morsels are a perfect treat for a picnic, BBQ, party or other gathering!!
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant vanilla flavor pudding and pie filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup key lime juice or 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (18 ounce) boxbetty crocker supermoist yellow cake mix (Adjust water, vegetable oil and eggs depending on cake mix you are using)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) containerbetty crocker whipped fluffy white frosting
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated key lime zest or 1⁄2 teaspoon regular lime peel
- In large bowl, beat pudding mix and whipping cream with wire whisk 2 minutes.
- Let stand 3 minutes.
- Beat in 1/4 cup Key lime juice and the food color; stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Make cake batter as directed on box.
- Spoon about 1 rounded tablespoonful batter into each muffin cup, using about half of the batter. (Muffin cups will be about 1/3 full.).
- Refrigerate remaining batter.
- Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining baking cups and batter.
- Cool cupcakes completely, about 15 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from baking cups.
- Swirl about 2 teaspoons topping on top of each cupcake.
- Stir frosting in container 20 times.
- Gently stir in 1 tablespoon Key lime juice and the lime peel.
- Spoon topping into 1-quart resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Cut 1/2-inch opening across bottom corner of bag.
- Squeeze 1 rounded teaspoonful frosting from bag onto topping.
- Garnish with fresh lime wedge, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.