Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Fleischmann's Yeast Company for a holiday treat.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 ounce fast rising yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup very warm water (125 to 130 F)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Pesto Tomato Sauce
- 6 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered and sliced
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- To make dough:
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast and salt. Stir water and oil into dry ingredients.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into six equal portions and form each into smooth ball. Roll each ball into 5-inch round. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Spread 1 teaspoon pesto sauce on each round. Top each with two to three slices tomato and sprinkle with pine nuts; dividing evenly. Cover; let rise in warm draft-free place until almost doubled in size, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425ºF for 15 to 18 minutes or until done, switching positions of sheets halfway through baking for even browning. Makes six 6-inch flat breads. Remove from sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Other Toppings:.
- Brush rounds with olive oil and sprinkle with one of the following combinations:.
- sliced mushrooms, sliced red onion, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped green onions.
- crumbled Feta cheese, walnut halves, basil leaves, sliced red bell pepper.
- sliced black olives, sliced red and green bell pepper, pecan halves, minced garlic.