Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Get out your mini muffin pans. Here is a delectable recipe, not only for Christmas but for all year. Recipe came from Real Simple magazine.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box gingerbread (plus the ingredients called for in the package directions) or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box spice cake mix (plus the ingredients called for in the package directions)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 36 mini muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes with the frosting and top with the ginger.
- NOTE:Cupcakes may be baked up to 1 day in advance and kept in a tightly covered container at room temperature. Or they may be baked 2 months in advance and frozen. The frosting may be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated, covered. Bring back to room temperature before frosting.