Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are in my published cookbook as 'Victorian Jewels'. They take fruitcake to a tasty new high and are very easy to make. Prep. time does not include the overnight marinating.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed glace fruit
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Mix fruit, raisins, currants and brandy.
- Let sit overnight.
- In the morning, cream together the brown sugar, butter and egg.
- Mix flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Add to egg mixture.
- Mix well and stir in marinated fruit.
- Add walnuts if desired. (I do half with, half without nuts.).
- Fill paper lined muffin cups 1/2 full.
- Bake at 300F for 30 minutes.
- While still warm pour 1/4 teaspoons brandy over each.
- I gnerally mark the plain cakes with a 1/2 glace cherry and the ones with the nuts with a 1/2 walnut.