Recipe by SmilinJenE
These sausage and hash brown frittatas with salsa will perk up your breakfast! Substitute eggs with egg substitute for less cholesterol.
- 1⁄4 lb Italian turkey sausage link, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Removed with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- Discard drippings.
- In the same pan, saute potatoes, onion, and garlic in oil until potatoes are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, seasonings, and sausage.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the water has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, flour, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir in sausage mixture.
- Fill muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Carefully run a knife around the edge of cups to loosen frittatas.
- Serve with salsa.