Small dark chocolate cakes with a peppermint and candy cane filling. Topped with a chocolate glaze and melted candy canes. A decadent treat for the holidays or special event. Recipe is from my blog Snappy Gourmet.
- 10 eggs, yolks & whites separated
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (regular or reduced fat)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 -6 cups powdered sugar
- 4 candy canes, finely crushed
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 1⁄3 cup tbsps heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- candy cane candy (for decorating, optional- see note below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or lightly spray 2 large 12×18-inch baking sheets with sides with nonstick spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper then butter again or lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and 2 cups sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well combined; beat in vanilla. In a small bowl whisk together flour cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until mixed. Stir coffee into water until dissolved. Alternated adding flour mixture and coffee into eggs/sugar mixture while beating with electric mixer on low speed just until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into cake batter until just combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 14-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool slightly then run a knife along edges of pan to loosen cake. Turn cake over on work surface and remove parchment paper. Cool completely then using a 3-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter (or sharp knife) cut out cake into circles.
- Prepare frosting by mixing together butter and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Beat in peppermint extract. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until desired consistency.
- Place a cake layer on work surface, top with frosting, then sprinkle with crushed candy canes, top with another cake layer and repeat with frosting, then candy canes, then top with a third cake layer. Repeat with remaining cake, frosting, and crushed candy canes. If there are any crushed candy canes left, sprinkle around sides of cakes.
- Place heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high power in 30 second intervals until very hot and bubbly. Pour over chocolate chips in a bowl and stir together with corn syrup until smooth. (If mixture is not completely melted, microwave on half power in 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth.) Cool slightly then spoon over tops of each cake. Store cakes in refrigerator until ready to serve. Cover cakes if storing for more than a few hours. Top with candy cane candy if desired before serving.
- NOTE: Candy Cane Candy - place crushed candy canes on parchment paper or silpats and bake in 350 degrees F oven for 5-8 minutes or until melted. Cool completely then break into pieces.