Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are delicious and look great on any Thanks giving or Christmas pastry or cookie plate. from Canadian Living Magazine. The recipe includes the 1 1/2 hrs chilling time.
Short Bread Shells
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup cranberries, fresh chopped
- 1⁄4 walnuts or 1⁄4 dried cranberries, chopped
- Shortbread Shells:.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until you have coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
- In a small bowl whisk egg, vanilla, and water together and drizzle over the flour, tossing with a fork until the dough holds together.
- Gather into a ball and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refidgerate for about an hour (can be made upto 2 days ahead).
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a 2 1/4 inch round cookie cutter, cut out 36 pieces, rerolling scraps.
- Fit into mini muffin tin and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees For 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a medium bowl mix together sugar, corn syrup,egg, butter, orange rind and juice, and salt.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into shells.
- Bake in the bottom 1/3 of oven until the filling is puffed and pastry is golden.
- Let cool on a rack for one minute and then run a metal spatula to loosen.
- Using a metal spatual tranfer tarts to cooling rack.
- Store layered with wax paper in an airtight container for 3 days.
- These can be frozen up to 2 weeks.