Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are simple little sandwiches which you can make all ahead of time and then just put together right before serving. A nice twist on BLT. A simple BLT spread with crab, roasted tomatoes and avocado make this great. I cut the small baguettes on a angle, secure each half with a tooth pick for a nice small bite size sandwich. Great for appetizers. Now, really hungry ... make this on some toasted Ciabatta bread for a decadent full size sandwich with a bowl of soup one night for a great dinner.
- 1 baguette, thin sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced in small wedges and then in 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- bibb lettuce (Boston or any soft tender leaf lettuce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups crabmeat (claw and lump)
- 1 red pepper, fine chopped
- 3 scallions, fine chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, fine chopped
- Bacon -- In a small non stick saute pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and let cool. Just add to a plastic bag. Make this ahead of time.
- Tomatoes -- On a small baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, add the tomato slices. About 4 slices per tomato and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees on the middle shelf for 5-10 minutes just until slightly roasted. You don't want them to get too soft.
- BLT Spread -- Make sure you check the crab for any shells and then break up in a small bowl. I use both the claw and lump, but you can easily use claw to same some money, just as good. Add to the crab, the scallions, red pepper, mayo, tarragon, salt, pepper and bacon. Cover with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerate to chill and firm up.
- Baguettes -- On each baguette, add a small lettuce leaf, then a roasted tomato slice, the BLT dip and then a avocado slice. Top with the other slice of the baguette and cut on a angel. I secure each half with a tooth pick so they stay together well.
- Serve -- I set these up on a bed a lettuce almost like little "mini" Club Sandwiches. I love them and they always go over very well. Never any left.