"Put very simply, canapés are nothing more than tops and bottoms with endless variations ensuring you will never, ever get bored with serving them." This is what The Passionate Cook, Johanna Wagner, has to say! They give you sustenance while chatting before sitting down to the meal. In all supermarkets thwew is a wide selection of pre-made finger food; vol-au-vents, mini quiches [which are awesome!] salmon rolls, or cheese bites, but isn't it more satisfying making your own??? This canapé consists of a fritter made with (fresh, frozen or canned) corn and a simple batter & adding chilli flakes and coriander! This dish can be made with another type of bottom and store-bought salsa & guacamole, season it(to make it your own) serve with coriander leaves & VOILA! ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/8 ounces cornflour
- 2 1/8 ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2/3 ounce butter, melted
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 4 3/8 ounces sweetcorn (fresh or canned or frozen)
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2Combine all the ingredients for the corn cakes in a mixing bowl, mixing the dough loosely with a fork.
- 3Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- 4Drop teaspoons full of the batter into the hot pan, flattening as much as possible into a circle.
- 5Fry until browning, then turn over and flatten to with the aid of a spoon or fork.
- 6Fry until browning, then lift and drain on some paper towels.
- 7Fry in batches until you've used up all the dough.
- 8Leave the corn cakes to cool before topping.
- 9You can keep the corn cakes in a metal container (to retain the crispness) for a day.or you can also freeze the cakes and defrost, then crisp up
- 10in the oven before putting the topping on.
- 11THE SALSA:.
- 12Ccut the avocados in half, retaining one of the stones.
- 13Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and mash up roughly in a bowl.
- 14Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- 15Leave the avocado stone in the salsa until serving, this will prevent it from browning.
- 16When ready to serve (and up to 30 minutes in advance), arrange a teaspoon of the salsa on each corncake, decorate with coriander leaves and serve.
- 17E N J O Y!
Browse Our Top Lime Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lime Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini-Corncakes With Avocado & Lime Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (1255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 58.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 29.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.1 g