Recipe by 2Bleu
A great recipe from Emeril Lagasse. You will need 50 toothpicks for this recipe. Be sure and try some 2bleu's Sweet Mustard Sauce for Pretzels and More! with these for a special dipping treat!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence, Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- cayenne pepper
- 1 (50 count) package miniature hot dogs
- 1 cup yellow mustard (recommended 2bleu's Sweet Mustard Sauce for Pretzels and More!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip: Dry mini hot dogs with paper towels (rolling a few around at a time). this will help the batter stick to the dogs.
- Preheat the fryer. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Whisk in the Essence, baking powder, cornmeal, flour, and sugar. Whisk until smooth. Season with salt and cayenne.
- Spear the sausage links leaving a 1/2-inch from the top. Dip each sausage in the batter, coating the sausage evenly.
- Gently lay the corndogs in a deep fryer or pot of hot oil (350F) and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally for overall browning.
- Remove the corndogs from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season the corndogs with Essence. Serve the corndogs with warm mustard.