Recipe by Herb-Cat
These little coconut pies are sturdy enough to travel in a lunch box or picnic basket. Check the baking section at your grocery store for vegan-friendly, ready-made graham cracker pie crusts. From Vegetarian Times
Top Review by racuna26
I made this for my friend's mom's birthday. She is not a vegan, but I found that this recipe was a great alternative for a birthday cake considering her dietary restrictions and health problems. I was a bit hesitant at first, but the longer it sits to chill, the more the coconut flavor develops. I ended up making a regular sized pie instead of the minis and topping it off with additional toasted coconut. I'm sure it would have been even better with some whipped cream (for non-vegans and those without lactose intolerance), but everyone said it was perfect as is! And it's not too sweet. I was pleasantly surprised with the result. Recommend.
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened coconut
- 6 ounces soft silken tofu, drained
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 graham cracker pie crusts, mini
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spread coconut on baking sheet, and toast 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally, or until golden.
- Blend tofu in blender or food processor 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Whisk in coconut milk, and cook over medium-high heat 8 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove pan from heat. Fold in tofu, vanilla and coconut extracts, and coconut. Divide among mini pie crusts, and chill.