Recipe by Cuestick
We always have something sweet for breakfast on Sunday morning. These are my take on a simple no-yeast cinnamon roll. My family loves 'em!
- 1 cup flour (plus some for the counter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 -3 tablespoons firm butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (you can substitute buttermilk for the yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (plus a little extra for sprinkling on the rolls)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 -4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your fingers until there are no pieces of butter larger than a pea.
- Add the yogurt and stir until it comes together in a ball. Transfer it onto a floured surface.
- Knead the dough 5-10 times but no more. Roll your dough into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Brush the dough with about half of the melted butter (reserving some for later).
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle it liberally over the buttered dough.
- Roll the dough into a log. To make twelve rolls, cut the log in the center. Then cut each of those two pieces in the center. Then cut each of the four pieces you have into three equal slices.
- Take each roll and transfer into the cup of a standard greased muffin tin.
- Dot each of the tops of the rolls with the remaining melted butter. Sprinkle each roll lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, in a small bowl stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- When the rolls are golden brown, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a minute before removing from the muffin tin.
- Transfer the rolls, to a plate and spread with the cream cheese icing.