Recipe by manushag
I have tried many different recipes and this one is the best. More like a mini pie than a cookie. Also love to make many different fillings. A good opportunity to use the many jams I make all summer. Blueberry, strawberry, peach, apricot, raspberry or my famous 'Mystery Jam', a combo of all leftover fruits which I freeze and make at the end of the summer. I also use different nuts such as walnut, pecan, almond or macadamia and substitute dried cranberries or currants for the raisins. You can also add 1/4 cup sugar to the dough, but I think the fillings are sweet enough without. For chocolate rugalach, make a ganache by melting 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips and a tablespoon of cream. Stir well and spread on dough circle before (or instead of)the jam. I also drizzle melted chocolate on top, after baked and cooled.
Top Review by j.a.c.k.
I have been looking for this pastry recipe for ages..........its magnificent these are wonderful pastries to make thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I will be making these again soon.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter with cream cheese until smooth.
- Add flour, alternately with sour cream ending with flour.
- When all is combined, divide into 10 discs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1/2 hour, or more.
- Roll out one disc into an 8 inch circle, leaving others in frig until you're ready for them.
- Melt jam in microwave for 20 seconds and brush over dough circle, and/or spread with warm ganache.
- Chop raisins and nuts with sugar and cinnamon in food processor.
- Sprinkle filling sparingly over jam or chocolate ganache.
- Cut circle with a pizza cutter into 12 triangles by cutting in fours, and then each 1/4 into 3 triangles.
- Roll each one beginning with wide end. Place on cookie sheet point side down. (otherwise they will unroll while baking).
- Sprinkle tops with combined cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.