I have tried many different recipes and this one is the best. More like a mini pie than a cookie. Also love to make many different fillings. A good opportunity to use the many jams I make all summer. Blueberry, strawberry, peach, apricot, raspberry or my famous 'Mystery Jam', a combo of all leftover fruits which I freeze and make at the end of the summer. I also use different nuts such as walnut, pecan, almond or macadamia and substitute dried cranberries or currants for the raisins. You can also add 1/4 cup sugar to the dough, but I think the fillings are sweet enough without. For chocolate rugalach, make a ganache by melting 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips and a tablespoon of cream. Stir well and spread on dough circle before (or instead of)the jam. I also drizzle melted chocolate on top, after baked and cooled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Beat butter with cream cheese until smooth.
- 3Add flour, alternately with sour cream ending with flour.
- 4When all is combined, divide into 10 discs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1/2 hour, or more.
- 5Roll out one disc into an 8 inch circle, leaving others in frig until you're ready for them.
- 6Melt jam in microwave for 20 seconds and brush over dough circle, and/or spread with warm ganache.
- 7Chop raisins and nuts with sugar and cinnamon in food processor.
- 8Sprinkle filling sparingly over jam or chocolate ganache.
- 9Cut circle with a pizza cutter into 12 triangles by cutting in fours, and then each 1/4 into 3 triangles.
- 10Roll each one beginning with wide end. Place on cookie sheet point side down. (otherwise they will unroll while baking).
- 11Sprinkle tops with combined cinnamon and sugar.
- 12Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Chocolate or Fruit Rugelach
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 120
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.0
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.1 mg
- Sodium 25.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g