Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These delightful mini treats are a combination of chocolate cake with a cream cheese & chocolate chip centre.
CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER
- 70 mini paper cups or 120 miniature paper cups
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE TOPPING
- 1 (250 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (300 g) package miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare the mini muffin pans by inserting the mini baking paper cups.
- Chocolate Cake Batter:.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine the wet ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients until thoroughly blended, about 2 minutes. The batter will be thin. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cream Cheese Topping:.
- Beat the cream cheese then add the sugar, salt and the egg and blend with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, fill all of the prepared baking cups approximately 3/4 full with the chocolate cake mixture. Drop about a 1/2 teaspoon of the cream cheese filling on the centre of each cupcake. Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes or until they spring back. Make sure the cheese filling stays white--do not over bake.
- Cool the cupcakes on a rack then refrigerate.
- Yield depends on the size of the paper cups. Can also be baked in larger cups, simply adjust the cooking time.
These bite size treats look good and taste great. The recipe made a big batch so I froze some. I loved having delicious homemade treats ready to go in the freezer.