Recipe by Chef Gorete
These delightful mini treats are a combination of chocolate cake with a cream cheese & chocolate chip centre.
Top Review by amanda.nagy
One of my favourite desserts- a great find! It can be a bit time consuming to make but it's worth it. They are the perfect bite size dessert for any occasion. I've frozen them in the past and they taste just as good once thawed. Best if eaten fresh with great company!
CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER
- 70 mini paper cups or 120 miniature paper cups
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE TOPPING
- 1 (250 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (300 g) package miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare the mini muffin pans by inserting the mini baking paper cups.
- Chocolate Cake Batter:.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine the wet ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients until thoroughly blended, about 2 minutes. The batter will be thin. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cream Cheese Topping:.
- Beat the cream cheese then add the sugar, salt and the egg and blend with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, fill all of the prepared baking cups approximately 3/4 full with the chocolate cake mixture. Drop about a 1/2 teaspoon of the cream cheese filling on the centre of each cupcake. Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes or until they spring back. Make sure the cheese filling stays white--do not over bake.
- Cool the cupcakes on a rack then refrigerate.
- Yield depends on the size of the paper cups. Can also be baked in larger cups, simply adjust the cooking time.