Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another find in the Spanish cooking magazine, "Cocina Facil." This dish is flavorful and hearty, rich in proteins and fiber, but at the same time low in fat.
- 1⁄2 lb lentils (pre-soaked)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, slices cut into thirds
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Drain lentils and place in a soup pot with carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves and olive oil.
- Add enough water to-just- cover lentils and veggies, cover and cook 40 minutes (or until tender) over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt towards the end of cooking (adding salt at the beginning lengthens cooking time).
- While the lentils are cooking, dice chicken into 2" pieces and wrap with bacon pieces.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add wrapped chicken and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with fennel seeds and brown chicken.
- Add wine, lower heat and simmer for about 10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add lentils to the pan with the chicken, season with salt and pepper, mix well and allow flavors to meld for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This dish was wonderful - a basic flavorful lentil stew with chicken and bacon. I did not wrap the chicken pieces with bacon, but instead cooked the bacon and then cooked the chicken in the bacon fat. Do not omit the fennel seeds - they are a great touch. I usually don't soak lentils, but I did for 2 hours and they ended up cooking in about 25 minutes. I made this dish way ahead and simply reheated for dinner. We will be making this often.
Different. Good! I like that this recipe contains both lentils and meat. Many lentil recipes are veggie. I had cooked lentils already and a baked chicken, so I didn't wrap the chicken, but added turkey bacon and chicken separately. Served it with toasted french bread with melted Munster cheese. Mmmm.
We really loved this dish. I pretty much followed the recipe. There's just two of us so we got to enjoy for two days. I'll sure be making this one again.