Recipe by Sharlene~W
This savory little morsel was one of the appetizers featured when Food Network chefs catered a wedding. (Rachael Ray's offering).
Top Review by 5CardCharlie
Cigar: Mini Chicken Cigar With Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
Filler: Long filler chicken / short filler parsley blend-- Cuban Sandwich
Upon lighting cigar, noticed heavy spice notes of pepper, cumin, and paprika. As burning progressed, hints of poultry and chili powder were detected. This cigar was extremely difficult to keep lit, especially when sweet and sour humidity was high. Harsh overtones in the smoke may indicate that this filler was plucked too early.
I'm now 2/3 down, and developing a nice buzz.
Some aging may benefit these cigars, but they are very prone to mold.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning (recommended Montreal Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (a handful)
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet plum sauce or 2 tablespoons Chinese duck sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light oil (such as peanut, canola, or vegetable oil)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced mango (optional)
- 1 scallion, green tops only, thinly sliced on the bias
Directions See How It's Made
- For the chicken cigars: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken in a bowl and mix with spices and parsley. (I actually used my food processor to shred/chop chicken and mix in the spices and it worked nicely--use it to chop the parsley first and then add other ingredients).
- Place a piece of phyllo on a nonstick cookie sheet and brush with some of the melted butter. Repeat 3 more times, placing each of phyllo over the last buttered sheet to make 4 layers. Cut layered phyllo into 16 rectangles (4 x 4).
- On one end of each of the rectangles, place a heaping tablespoon of chicken filling. Roll up tightly to make mini "cigars". Cut each of these in half and place on a cookie sheet. (They should overlap slightly on the bottom--they will stay together nicely if you press them gently after you place them on the cookie sheet). Butter the tops of each.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Repeat with second half of phyllo sheets and chicken mixture.
- Make the sweet and sour dipping sauce by whisking together plum or duck sauce and vinegar in a bowl. Stream in oil and continue whisking to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in mango and sliced scallions.
- Serve either hot or at room temperature with dipping sauce.