Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Deen Bros. "Y'all Come and Eat" Cookbook
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- all-purpose flour (for dusting)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (from a 175 ounce package)
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 8 equal-size patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Brown the patties in oil about 1 minute per side.
- On a lightly floured surface, until the pastry. Cut the pastry lengthwise into four equal strips, then cut strips in half crosswise.
- Place one patty on each strip and top with cheese.
- Fold the pastry up and around the burgers and pinch the edge together to seal, molding to fit around the patties.
- Combine beaten egg and 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg mixture.
- Plane the mini burger on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.