1/2 Photos of Mini Cheese and Olive Welsh Rarebit Bites for Festive Frolics!
French Tart's Note:
A delectable tangy topping of Cheddar cheese, chopped olives, sun-dried tomatoes with cherry tomatoes - melted on little toasted bread rounds! Perfect for all types of parties, buffets, nibbles, Hors D'oeuvres, starters and aperitif snacks! I make up my toasted bread rounds ahead of time and store them in an airtight tin; the cheese rarebit mixture can also be made ahead, you just need to spread it on top of the toasted bread rounds and then pop them in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes. Perfect, tasty and very elegant! I usually use green olives, as I prefer the flavour when mixed with the cheese and tomatoes - but you could use black olives if you wish. I also use pimento stuffed olives to great effect, I am sure that almond stuffed olives would also be wonderful. Try to use a good quality thick sliced loaf of bread for the toasted bread rounds - it makes such a difference to the finished taste. This recipe is easily doubled or trebled for larger gatherings!
My Private Note
Mini Ch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 slices bread, white or 4 -6 slices brown bread
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- 2 ounces green pitted olives, finely chopped
- 6 extra olives, cut into half (to garnish)
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1Stamp 12 x 2" rounds out of the sliced bread - the spare bread can be kept for fresh breadcrumbs.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 230C/475F and line a baking tray with greasproof paper.
- 3Lay the bread rounds on the lined tray and bake for about 3 to 5 minutes or until a pale golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- 4Mix the grated cheese, chopped olives, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, mustard powder and mayonnaise together - season with salt and pepper to taste, remembering the olives are already quite salty!
- 5Spread the mixture over the top of the pre-toasted bread rounds and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture has melted and is bubbling.
- 6Take the mini rarebits out and place half a cherry tomato into the toppping of each round - put them back into the oven for about 1 to 2 minutes to soften the tomato, make sure they do not brown too much.
- 7Take them out of the oven and finish off by placing half an olive in the middle of each cherry tomato as a final garnish.
- 8Serve warm or at room temperature with cocktails, wine and other Hors D'oeuvres for festive feasts, frolics, parties or buffets!
- 9The toasted bread rounds can be stored for up to a week in an airtight tin, and the cheese rarebit mixture can be made ahead and stored for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Cheese and Olive Welsh Rarebit Bites for Festive Frolics!
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.2
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 203.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.2 g