Recipe by Kerena
Another recipe from Cuisine at Home October 2008 magazine. A great side dish to go with the Irish Stew recipe from them, I submitted.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives, minced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, blended with 1 T water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter in with a pastry blender or fork until pea-sized.
- Stir in cheddar and chives, then add buttermilk and 2 T water; knead gently just until blended. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat into an 8" square. Cut into 2" squares, then cut squares into triangles. Arrange scones on baking sheet, spacing 1" apart.
- Brush tops with egg-water mix and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.