Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From chindeep.com, April 6, 2012 -- recipe by Melissa. Serve warm for breakfast with strawberry jam, or serve at room temperature. Add pickled jalapenos and these might be perfect served with chili! NOTE: Time for frying bacon is included in the prep time.
Top Review by Linky
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars - it was that good! I reduced the cheese to 3/4 cups total and the bacon to 2 slices regular thickness and it was still wonderful! Thanks Kerfuffle!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon (fried, drained, and crumbled)
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated ~ divided)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (OPTIONAL ~ SLICED PICKLED JALAPENOS, finely minced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 8 mini loaf pans, or large muffin tins.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, paprika, onion powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a wire whisk to combine buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the bacon. and 1/2 cup cheese. and the (OPTIONAL) minced pickled jalapenos.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter into each of the buttered loaf tins.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese evenly over the tops of the loaves. Bake just until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean (about 8-10 minutes more.).
- Cool for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- NOTE: My little loaf pan has eight openings (3.7" x 2.4" each).