Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
From chindeep.com, April 6, 2012 -- recipe by Melissa. Serve warm for breakfast with strawberry jam, or serve at room temperature. Add pickled jalapenos and these might be perfect served with chili! NOTE: Time for frying bacon is included in the prep time.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon (fried, drained, and crumbled)
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated ~ divided)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (OPTIONAL ~ SLICED PICKLED JALAPENOS, finely minced)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 8 mini loaf pans, or large muffin tins.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, paprika, onion powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a wire whisk to combine buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the bacon. and 1/2 cup cheese. and the (OPTIONAL) minced pickled jalapenos.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter into each of the buttered loaf tins.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese evenly over the tops of the loaves. Bake just until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean (about 8-10 minutes more.).
- Cool for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- NOTE: My little loaf pan has eight openings (3.7" x 2.4" each).
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars - it was that good! I reduced the cheese to 3/4 cups total and the bacon to 2 slices regular thickness and it was still wonderful! Thanks Kerfuffle!
These little gems are delicious. Used turkey bacon in just the normal cut and mixed cheddar with pepper jack cheese. The outcome was great. I made them to go with pork chops, peas and carrots and a green salad, YUM.