Recipe by Mommy to 4 kids
Found this keeper in the Family Fun magazine. I loved making it with the kids and they loved being creative. Use your imagination and your favorite toppings for this great snack. You will need a package of lollipop sticks and a melon baller and small paper candy cups (or cupcake paper) for this recipe. One Granny Smith apple makes approximately 8 mini apples.
Top Review by Delft Blue
I also found this recipe in my Family Fun Magazine. So easy, so absolutely adorable and such a yummy little taste treat (not as big of a commitment as the real deal). My 3 year old thought this was the best little treat although I would caution giving these to the 4 and under crowd unless you are keeping a good eye on them because the melon ball size is a big choking hazard. Other than that, this is a definite keeper- and what a show stopper- you'll have everyone telling you how clever and cute these little guys are! I used natural peanut butter to mimic the caramel and then rolled them in finely chopped chocolate. I will do homemade caramel next. These would be such a fabulous little sweet treat at a fall wedding- the possibilities are endless. Make sure to absorb the juice around the cut flesh of the mini apple with a paper towel before you dip or coat.
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 (16 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1 (16 ounce) package peanut butter chips
- 1 (16 ounce) package milk chocolate pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) container candy sprinkles
- 1 (12 ounce) package coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the lollipop sticks at an angle on one end to create a small point to insert into the mini apple.
- With the melon baller, scoop little balls out of the apple making sure to have a section of apple peel on each ball.
- Push half the lollipop stick into the peel of each ball and pat the apple dry.
- Melt the butterscotch, peanut butter and chocolate pieces according to the package directions.
- Dip and swirl the mini-apples in the melted chips, then roll them into the sprinkles, coconut or chopped nuts if desired.
- Place the mini apples in paper candy cups to set.