Recipe by grumblebee
A simple caesar salad served in individual garlic, buttery and crisp cups. No utensils required for consumption so it's perfect for a party or anywhere else you'd like a lovely, easy, fresh and unique hors d'oeuvre. I came up with this recipe because I wanted to serve a vegetable based appetizer but was tired of the standard veggie platter. I thought of regular salads, but they were too finicky for guests to deal with. (hard to juggle a glass of champagne and eat a salad) I needed something that people could easily pop into their mouths in one or 2 bites. Thus, this recipe was born! :)
Top Review by mickeydownunder
For presentation, this is REALLY great, TRUE!
By accident I put the cheese mixed through the finely chopped lettuce too!
Then drizzled the dressing, LOOKED like I really did fuss on the day!
Next time might try using a pastry brush to do the whole won ton BEFORE I put it into the mini muffin mold too!
As had a little difficulty getting the too large brush to coat the wrappers so they could also even bake, TRUE!
But totally did not take anything away,
The recipe is a keeper and in my cook books it will stay! THANKS! :)
- 45 wonton wrappers
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped very finely
- 3⁄4 cup caesar salad dressing (adjust to taste and consistency)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- nonstick cooking spray
- lemon wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray mini-muffin tins with cooking spray. Melt the butter in microwavable safe dish and stir in garlic salt. Set aside.
- Place each wrapper into a section of a mini-muffin tin. Gently press each wrapper into the tin and arrange so that it forms a cup shape. The wrapper will overlap itself and stick up out of the cup. Brush insides with the garlic butter and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crisp. (time may vary according to your oven, so keep a close eye on them) Remove from the tin and allow to cool while preparing salad.
- Finely chop the romaine lettuce. If you have a food processor, use it. You really need a fine fine chop in order to fill the cups properly, so don't be lazy with this step!
- Pour on caesar salad dressing and stir until all pieces are coated. Adjust dressing (adding more or less) to suit personal preference.
- Spoon salad mixture into cooled wonton cups and sprinkle with freshly grated parmasan cheese. Garnish with fresh lemon, if desired.
- Bon Appetit! :).