Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Inspired by Alton Brown after seeing his wonton-themed show, these are great as appetizers or as a meal. Delicious!
- 1⁄3 lb ground beef (or ground turkey, chicken, bison, etc.)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I like Colby-Jack)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brown ground meat, adding onion, pepper, and garlic about halfway through the browning process.
- Add taco seasoning, cumin, salsa, and a small amount or water (1/3 cup or less) when meat has browned and allow to simmer over medium heat until mixture is dry.
- Remove meat from heat.
- Lay 4-6 wonton wrappers out and place one pinch of cheese and one level spoonful of meat mixture in each wrapper.
- Use your finger to wet 2 sides of the wrapper and fold into a triangle or rectangle shape (the shape doesn't matter- it's up to you!).
- DO NOT OVERFILL!
- Place filled wontons onto greased baking sheet or jelly roll.
- Repeat filling until out of meat mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese over top, and replace in oven for additional 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and wontons are crisp on the edges.
- ENJOY! (I top mine with hot sauce and dip in sour cream and salsa like a nacho).
These were a hit at my Super Bowl party. I actually trippled the recipe to use a whole package of meat. So much fun and very tasty!
I've been making something like this for a while now, but like BeccaB, I just put the won ton wrappers in the mini muffin tin. My DD almost likes them better than regular tacos! I serve them at parties and they are always a hit. I use a pound of ground beef and get about 50 -55 appetizers. I use chicken sometimes, too and that is also really good. It is amazing the things you can do with a won ton wrapper :-D Thanks for posting!
Great recipe. I was unable to buy wonton wrappers so I used spring roll wrappers and they worked just fine.