Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. This recipe is an original for my family. My 6 year old daughter is on spring break and I thought of a delicious dish that is easy to make and fun so that my kids can participate. I included all of the ingredients that we like and combined them into a bread bowl that we created. I precooked the bacon, Simply Potatoes diced potatoes with onions, and hollowed out the knot rolls. I supervised my daughter as she added the cheese, potatoes and bacon portions into the the knot rolls and painted the rolls with the bacon grease before I placed them into the oven. The look on her face preping the bowls is priceless. My two year old son even got involved by placing the bread stuffing, that was extracted from the rolls, into a bag so we can save it for bread crumbs in the future. They came out so crispy, and cheesy with the delicious potatoes an bacon flavor. Mom loved them, the kids loved them and I loved them as well.. These breakfast bowls are a keeper.
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat until hot then add bacon.
- Cook bacon until crispy then remove and break into halves.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease into a small bowl.
- Add one pack of Simply Potatoes diced with Onions to the pan and cook with the remaining bacon grease. Cook until light brown then remove and divide into 12 even piles.
- Then take a knife and cut a circle from the top center of the knot roll. Remove the bread from within the roll; hollowing the roll.
- Add cubes of cheese, one pile of the Simply Potatoes, bacon half, and topped with a few more cubes of cheese filling the bread bowl.
- Place the knot roll top back on the center of the bread bowl; covering the top. Repeat the steps until all of the bread bowls are filled. Then add the knots onto a cookie sheet.
- Take the small bowl with bacon grease and paint each roll.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven; Allow the bread bowls to rest for 5 minutes then and serve.
this recipe is awesome. the taste is amazing. just the right amount of carbohydrates to kick start the day. easy recipe to follow. thanks for the recipe. i cant believe there are not more reviews. its a keeper.
Absolutely delicious! I couldn't find knot rolls, so I used light, flaky dinner rolls. I aso used thick cut bacon. Was so crispy and gooey. Good for a crowd, too.