1/5 Photos of Mini Bread Loaves
2 hrs 6 mins
1 hr 6 mins
These crusty little loaves make great bread bowls, sandwich rolls and toasting bread. This recipe makes 16-18 "baby breads" ..enough to last us the week and still have some for the freezer. A trick: Slice the loaves into fourths thru the "equators". Use the middle two slices for toast and the outer slices for a sandwich. A great recipe for beginning bread makers. Variations: Italian type bread: Sprinkle one baking sheet with cornmeal then slit the tops of the mini breads and sprinkle with more cornmeal. Bread Bowls: Do not reduce heat or spray with water after 10 minutes. Baking at a higher temperature will make a crustier and more substantial loaf. ****** Note! A mistake was made when I first posted this recipe. As of 1-12-05 the recipe reads 13 cups of flour rather than 11. Thanks. Barb
My Private Note
baby br ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2Combine water and yeast in a large bowl and mix well.
- 3Add ¾ cup flour and whisk 100 times.
- 4Cover and let set one hour.
- 6Add an additional tsp of dry yeast, 6 cups of (room temp.) water, 4 cups of flour and kosher salt to starter mix.
- 7Whisk 50 times and let stand 2 minutes.
- 8Using a large spoon mix in 2 cups of flour until well incorporated.
- 9Add 3 cups of flour and mix until well incorporated.
- 10Add another 3 cups of flour and mix until well incorporated.
- 11Let dough rest 5 minutes.
- 12Cover working surface with generous amount of flour (about a cup).
- 13Turn soft wet dough onto surface and sprinkle with flour.
- 14Dip your hands in flour and knead the dough.
- 15(Push it down and forward with the heel of one hand. Then pull dough back from the top and fold dough over with the other.).
- 16Gradually add the last cup of flour as you knead for about 5 minutes.
- 17Shape dough into a ball and return to large bowl that has been lightly coated with 1 ½ tsp olive oil.
- 18Brush top with ½ tsp olive oil.
- 19Cover and let rise until doubled (approx an hour).
- 20Deflate the dough, turn out unto a floured surface and knead for about a minute.
- 21Separate dough in half.
- 22Separate each half in half.
- 23Divide these pieces into fourths.
- 24(You should have 16 pieces. And sometimes I get 18 pieces-- lol).
- 25Shape each piece into a tight ball and place on a greased baking sheet (up to 6 to a sheet).
- 26Let rise for 30 minutes.
- 27Preheat oven to 450F and place oven racks in the center of the oven.
- 28Place a pan of water under the racks where the bread will bake.
- 29Place loaves in hot oven for ten minutes.
- 30*Spray/sprinkle loaves with water.
- 31Reduce heat to 400F and continue baking for 10-12 minutes.
- 32Remove from oven.
- 33Paint w/ butter or oil for a softer crust (optional).
- 34*For crustier loaves keep the 450F bake time to 20 minutes and omit 400F bake & water spritz.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Bread Loaves
Serving Size: 1 (3314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.9
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 585.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 11.2 g