Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
This is a riff off of a Duncan Hines recipe, as it uses a cake mix. I made a few changes and added bourbon for extra flavor. It is easy and tasty!
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Move an oven rack into the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon bourbon into the bottom of each sprayed muffin cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Press a maraschino cherry into the center of the brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Drain pineapple, saving the juice (there should be about a cup). Cut each chunk in half and surround cherry with four pieces, one on each side, covering the bottom of the muffin cup.
- Mix yellow cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice, bourbon and vegetable oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top; do not overfill.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool at least 5 minutes on a rack. Then run a small sharp knife around each cake to loosen before inverting muffin cups forcefully (with a bang!) over a large piece of waxed paper on your counter to release. Some pineapple pieces may stick to bottom, just put them back on the cakes. Serve with pineapple/cherry side up.