Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is such a nice surprise to find on your plate and, it's simple! Just think of the praises you'll get at the next meal!
- 6 small onions
- creole seasoning or cajun spices
- Take a small to medium onion and cut the top off (about 1/4th of the onion).
- Peel away the outer skin but leave the root on.
- With a knife cut wedge shapes in it.
- But here's the trick -- take two wooden cooking spoons and rest the onion between them root down.
- Now slice wedges into the onion as you would cut a pizza.
- Doing this keeps the onion together at the base therefore allowing a bloomin onion result.
- Gently (with a knife) separate the sections from one another.
- Fry each one for a minute or so (depends on the size of the onion).
- These small onions will open up quickly and cook quickly so please understand this takes a little practice.
- Once its bloomin take it out of the grease and season it lightly with creole seasoning or cajun spice.
- You could also add remolade or rosette sauce on top to finish it.
- Variation: You can also batter them by mixing 1 cup of Bisquick and 1/2 cup of cornstarch in 2 cups of milk.
- Make a paste first with a little milk before adding all the milk.
- Soak the onions for about 30 minutes then dust them with flour and seasoning.
- Open the onion a little as you do it.
- Let the onions sit at least 5 minutes before frying.