Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
Worth the trouble!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream or 1 quart chocolate ice cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line a standard jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the cake mix, 4 egg yolks, oil and water in bowl, blend for 2 minutes.
- Pour into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely before turning it out of the pan.
- Invert into a flat, clean working surface, carefully peel off the parchment paper
- With a 2 1/2-3 inch cookie cutter, cut out cake into rounds.
- Dust off crumbs and place on a clean baking sheet lined with more parchment paper.
- Top each cake with a scoop of ice cream and put the pan in the freezer until ice cream is firm.
- Leave in the freezer until just before you wish to serve.
- Beat 4 egg whites until soft peaks form, slowly add the sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until firm peaks hold.
- Turn on broiler (high heat).
- Remove ice cream cakes from the freezer and quickly frost with the egg white meringue.
- Insert pan into the broiler for about 1 minute, just until the meringue begins to brown. Don't let ice cream melt. Note: If you have a blowtorch use that instead. Serve immediately on chilled plates.