Recipe by Kitty Z
I made up this recipe when I had apples that were about to go bad, but not enough to make applesauce the usual way. Because the apples are steamed, not boiled, you can reduce this down to even one apple with no problems.
- 550 g apples, chunked, seeds removed, and optionally peeled (about 3 apples)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cardamom
- sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place apple chunks in a steamer basket over boiling water.
- Steam until apples are soft enough to be pierced by a dull utensil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Put apples and remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor; blend until desired consistency is reached (if more water is needed, use the apple-flavored water from the steamer).
- Test for sweetness and add sugar if necessary.
- Transfer to storage container and refrigerate until chilled. The flavor will improve as the applesauce rests.