Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A diet friendly sweet treat that I plan on making this week. This recipe is all about portion control. From TOH Healthy. Each strudel is about 100 calores.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Combine the apples, sugar, walnuts, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out). Spray with buttered flavored cooking spray.
- Fold in half widethwise; spray with flavored spray. Spoon 1/3 cup filling onto phyllo dough (about 2 inches from a short side.) Fold side and edges over filing and roll up. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Continue same process with remaining dough and filling.
- Cut diagonal slits in tops of studels. Spray strudels with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
These were very good. I made them for Easter and they turned out very well. It was my first time working with phyllo dough, and I found it to be a little difficult, but the overall result was delicious. The apples were perfectly cooked and I ended up getting 9 strudels from the amount of apples (I used 2 whole ones with only 4 tsp of sugar and no walnuts). Great recipe! Thanks!
So quick and easy to do, I used 2 granny smith apples and got just over 2 cups of chopped apple and used a 1/4 cup in each strudel. I did make ahead of time and put on a greased tray and covered with plastic wrap. Just before baking I put the slits in and brushed with butter (melted butter instead of using spray - all up about 3 tablespoons). Delicious, thank you seesko.
I really enjoyed these little strudels. I used a Granny Smith apple. One apple made 1 1/2 cups of chopped apple. For some reason the apple was a bit more cooked than I would have liked but the flavour was still very good. Since I misread the recipe I ended up with 3 large strudels instead of 6 small ones. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.