Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
Almonds, oh great! Make ahead of time. Cooling time is 2 hours.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package almond paste
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract or 1 -2 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Combine all ingredients except 1/4 cup sugar, and puff pastry, in small bowl.
- Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed; set aside.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon sugar on surface of pastry cloth.
- Unfold 1 sheet puff pastry on sugared surface with about 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Roll puff pastry sheet to 12" square.
- Cut square into 2 (12x6") rectangles.
- Spread 1/4 (about 3 tablespoons) almond paste mixture on each rectangle.
- Working with one(12x6")rectangle at a time, fold 1/2" of both 12" sides in toward center of pastry.
- Continue folding both 12" sides. 1/2" at a time until 12" sides meet in center.
- Fold one 12" side on top of each other 12" side; tightly press layers together.
- Repeat with remaining 12x6" rectangle.
- Repeat with remaining sheet of pastry.
- Wrap each pastry roll in plastic food wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut pastry rolls into 1/2" slices.
- Place 2" apart onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-11 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Immediately remove from baking sheets.