Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This soup is perfect on a chilly night with hot, crusty bread. I have used the hot turkey sausage and this comes out perfect every time. It also looks pretty enough to be a company dish too!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage, spicy
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine, dry
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced (2 small)
- 1⁄2 lb frozen tortellini (meat or cheese)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Remove sausage from casings. In a 5 quart (or larger) pot brown sausage. Drain excess fat. Add onions. Saute until tender.
- Add beef broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, catsup, Italian seasoning, garlic and celery. Bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes. Skim excess fat.
- Stir in zucchini, tortellini, green pepper, and parsley. Simmer 30 minutes, covered, or until tortellini are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.