1/1 Photo of Minestrone With Kale
Kozmic Blues's Note:
From Color Me Vegan, by Colleen Patrick Goudreau. "The addition of kale in this classic comfort soup makes it even better, certainly more nutritious, and definitely more colorful! The Italian word minestrone, refers to a large, hearty soup. The soup itself is part of what is known in Italy as cucina povera - literally "poor kitchen," referring to the necessity of creating dishes based on what was available and in season. As it has been passed down through the ages, there is no fixed recipe and lends itself to many variations". One thing I really like about this recipe is the step of boiling the small pasta first, and separate from the soup itself. That way the doesn't get overcooked, or soak up all the broth by the time it's finished cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil, for sauteing
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained (Cannellini, Great Northern, navy)
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or half stock and half water) or 6 cups water (or half stock and half water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup small shell pasta, cooked (elbow macaroni, shells, etc.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, and add the onion and carrots.
- 2Cook, stirring often, until the onion turns translucent and the carrots glisten, about 7 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute or so, until the garlic begins to smell fragrant.
- 4Add the tomatoes and their liquid and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down a bit.
- 5Add the beans, kale, parsley, water, and bay leaves.
- 6Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the flavors are all incorporated and the kale is tender.
- 7Add the cooked pasta, and stir to incorporate.
- 8Cook for 5 minutes more, tasting and adjusting the salt and pepper as needed, then remove from heat and serve.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestrone With Kale
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.1
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 35.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: